PVA Glue is one of the most widely used adhesives but, what makes it so premier in the world of glue is its powerful characteristics like it creates strong bonds yet it is quite flexible. It is also referred as white glue, carpenter’s glue. Most professionals choose PVA glue for their piece of work to be sturdy enough that can be used for prolonged period of time.You might be thinking what is PVA?
PVA is polyvinyl acetates, it makes sense if you are strong in chemistry if not then, it just means that its rubbery synthetic adhesive substance.
Reasons why it is better to use PVA Glue rather than using Elmer’s Glue:
Elmer’s glue is somewhat fragile than PVA glue and Elmer’s glue gets yellow over time whereas PVA glue is colorless, odorless.PVA glue keeps the materials bonded together and withstands moist, temperature changes, algae attacks.
Elmer’s glue can be used small artifacts, crafts.but, if you want to make huge projects which include heterogeneous materials to be stuck to each other.Woodworkers also prefer PVA glue for products to be long lasting if you use Elmer’s glue for this purpose it is ought to break within some years but, this isn’t the case with PVA.
In short PVA glue is always the best option to go with when it comes to using adhesives. There is a wide range of PVA glues available which are segregated depending on requirements, physical properties, materials on which it is being used, etc. If the durability of your product, a craft is an uncompromising factor then no doubt PVA will be your choice rather than Elmer’s.
Prime Applications of PVA Glue.
- PVA Glue is very close to woodworkers because they use it to fix pieces together, join the wood parts to make a single product out of it.
- Wallpapers are pasted on walls using it and they remain pasted for many years as it is without any abrupt changes.
- Many craft enthusiasts, hobbyist use PVA in a very friendly way to create crafts, carve their creativity.
- It is used in Bookbinding industry on large scale.PVA is very favorable to be used with books because it dries out and a strong bond is formed keeping pages aligned in a proper manner.
- For Packing purpose, it is used to close the openings of paper packages.It is also used as Envelope adhesive.
- Even for household purposes, PVA can be used to temporarily fix some parts of articles which are broken.
Key Features and Advantages of using PVA Glue.
- PVA glue is colorless it does not leave any mark behind when it dries out.
- Unlike Elmer’s glue, white PVA does not get yellow over the period of time.
- It sticks strong and is quite flexible.
- There are a variety of water-resistant PVA glues that has no effect even if exposed to moist and water.
- PVA glue is non-toxic but causes harm if ingested hence, it should be kept away from kids under the age of 5.
- It Posses Odourless property and does not give any vapors.
Types Of PVA Glue.
PVA Glues are categorized into various types depending on usage, composition, physical properties.
- Normal PVA glue- Normal PVA compose of polyvinyl acetates without any extra variations.This is a very classic form of PVA glue, white in color and has been in use since ages.Nowadays this type of glue is used as wallpaper adhesive, bookbinding, packing purpose as it goes well with paper and maintains PH, does not get sublime.
- PVA Wood Glue-This is also called as Carpenter’s glue which is generically yellow. Pieces of wood will get joined with very less pressure applied to it.
- Water resistant PVA glue-It is an evolved form of PVA glue, it has no effect or no degradation even if exposed to moist, foggy environment example of water-resistant PVA glue is Titebond II and Titebond III is somewhat new version. Using this type of glue will be beneficial if you are going to use it to make such an article which will frequently come into contact with the open atmosphere.
Facts and Tips about PVA Glue:
- PVA glue works best when used on clean, smooth and porous materials.
- Remember water resistant PVA only resist water this does not claim that it is waterproof, this kind of PVA glue is also water soluble.
- If you spill PVA on the floor don’t panic, you can easily clean it leaving no stains using soap and warm water.
- White PVA will stay for longer period of time as compared to Carpenter’s PVA glue.
- Ranging from huge wood projects to be sold to small school projects PVA glue is a truly multipurpose glue.
- If the pressure is applied while pasting with PVA glue results are much more effective than no pressure applied.
- Last but not the least, If you are considering to buy PVA glue go through various sites so that you don’t end up buying it at a costly price.
As you have gone through this article you can easily make the right and smart choice depending on your particular requirement.